Alcohol and stress often go hand in hand, so it is only appropriate that they share an awareness month. Often, when we are stressed we want to “get a drink” as a form of relaxation. However, it is important to remember that the amount of energy it takes to metabolize large doses of alcohol causes more stress to the body, even if it makes you feel more relaxed.
What can those who have a problem with consuming alcohol do when confronted with a social situation that revolves around the consumption of alcoholic beverages?
Don’t worry! There is a solution…herbal mocktails!!!!!!
The UM Dreamer
2 oz of club soda
1 oz of juiced ginger
½ oz Urban Moonshine Joy tonic
¼ oz honey water (equal parts honey and warm water)
8 drops UM lemon verbena essence
3 dashes UM citrus bitters
Add all ingredients together and serve straight up.
(Kava) ‘Awa Colada
2 or 3 tablespoons powdered Kava root
1 cup of full fat coconut milk
1/2 cup chunk pineapple
1 cup water
umbrella to garnish
Add the Kava, coconut milk, pineapple and water into blender for about five minutes. Strain the liquid. Makes one or two servings.
Adapted recipe from Wow Wee Maui’s Kava Bar
Sparkling Orange Lemonade Recipe
1 lb orange juiced
1 lemon, juiced
2 c sparkling water, chilled
2 tbsp maple syrup + more to taste
½ orange, sliced
½ lemon, sliced
1 sprig of mint, violas
1 sprig of lemon balm
- In a large pitcher whisk together the orange juice, lemon juice and maple syrup until blended.
- Just before serving, pour in the sparkling water and stir to combine.
- Adjust sweetness to your taste with more maple syrup or honey. Serve over ice cubes garnished with orange slices, violas and lemon balm or mint leaves.
Beltane Breeze Spritzer
2 tbsp of Lavender
2 tbsp of Chamomile
10 drops of Urban Moonshine Elderflower Single Extract
2 cups of honey water (1 cup honey :1 cup water)
4 Rainer cherries
Soda machine (or soda water)
- Place lavender and chamomile into a tea ball.
- Add 1 cup of water and 1 cup of honey to a pot and heat.
- Steep tea ball in hot honey water for 5 minutes then place in fridge to cool.
- Once cooled place in soda machine to be carbonated (if you don’t have a soda machine then either make as is/flat or add soda water to taste for mild carbonation).
- Cut up cherries and lightly poultice in glass.
- Once liquid is carbonated pour into glass and mix in Elderflower single extract. Enjoy!
¼ cup apple cider or billberry nectar
¼ cup peach nectar
1 wedge lemon juice
honey to taste
6 Dashes of Urban Moonshine Maple Bitters
Rose petals for garnish (optional)
- Add apple, peach, and lemon juices to a champagne flute.
- Heat honey and stir in.
- Mix in Maple Bitters, Rhodiola, and Rose extracts with sparkling water. To finish, sprinkle in rose petals.
1 lime wedge for garnish (optional)
4 to 6 raspberries (or 2 strawberries)
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 teaspoons grated ginger
¼ cup freshly blended mango
¼ cup pomegranate juice
8 dashes of Urban Moonshine Joy Tonic
- Run the lime wedge around the rim of a glass. Dip the glass rim in the ginger candy dust
- Muddle the raspberries or strawberries at the bottom of a glass, and pour in lime juice. Add grated ginger, mango juice, pomegranate juice and ice.
- Stir in Joy tonic and drink up!
Written by Noe Ferullo, NCNM Naturopathic Medicine Program. Edited by Dr. Elise Schroeder